Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween 2009

Halloween has never been one of my favorite holidays, and I still can't figure it out. When I was young we never had money for real costumes (who does?) so I would dress up as a beatnik or a hobo. (Am I revealing my age?) I never won any contests or got an honorable mention. When I went to people's house for trick or treat, they always asked what I was supposed to be.
My three children are grown and I have a darling little two month old grandbaby. I think hmmm nice Saturday to relax, do some housework, craft, etc. My 22 year old daughter was first with the question "Mom, what should I be for the Halloween party tonight?" Someone is having a Halloween party? I ask. I tried to explain that I was never good with creating costumes, let alone do I feel like going to the thrift store to try to find something that will suit the character. Well, her friends came by and then she decided to be the dead queen of the universe or something. Now there is baby powder and red paint sort of splotched here and there around the house. At least I didn't have to figure that one out.
My 27 year old son was next. Mom, do you have any white gloves? No, was my response. Well, I'm going to the thrift store, he says, I need overalls and a hat because I'm going to dress up as Mario for tonight. Okay, at least I don't have to help with this one, I am relieved. I then get a call from my son at the thrift store, there's no yellow hats, here. Oh, not good, I think, I may have to come to the rescue. I wait, ready to be the seamstress on demand. And twenty minutes later, my son walks in, ugly grey suit, argyle sweater, poindexter glasses. his hair is long and brushed to the side like some seventies dude. He changed his mind from being Mario to some whacky college professor. Not bad, I think.
So, my children go their separate ways to parties and downtown and whatever else they will find to do tonight. I will happily sit home with grandbaby and think of how I can decorate for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment